I do not know about you, but with me, I often times get cravings for certain types of foods that we often would order as take out here in America, whether it be Mexican, Italian, American, or Chinese. I try to limit how much we order out, or go out to eat, as I love to cook and try new things! I have pretty much mastered all types of tacos, have a pretty mean Alfredo recipe that is to die for, and cooking a cheeseburger is pretty dang easy as well… The only thing that I had no clue how to cook was my favorite Chinese takeout dish… Sweet & Sour Chicken!! I felt like there was no way I could get my chicken to taste like my favorite places…BUT news for you all, I have figured it out and I cannot wait to share with you! I am NOT kidding, this Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe is not only DELICIOUS, but pretty easy to make as well! Although it is slightly time consuming I would recommend this ten times out of time! I pair it with a homemade Chicken Fried Rice (which is also amazing)! For your convenience I have listed that recipe below too! I hope your family loves this meal as much as Len and I do! (oh, and my grandma, she liked it too).
Sweet & Sour Chicken Ingredients
- 4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup Cornstarch
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 Cup Canola Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 TBS Soy Sauce
- 1TSP Garlic Salt
- 1TSP Garlic Powder
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 4 TBS Ketchup
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut chicken into cubes. Once cut, season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium size bowl, begin to coat uncooked chicken with cornstarch.
- Heat Canola Oil in a large skillet.
- While the oil is heating, beat together three eggs and then coat each piece of chicken in the egg.
- Once oil is heated, place the chicken in the pan and brown on each side for 2-3 minutes on until slightly brown.
- Grease a 9×13 dish and place chicken in the dish. (I prefer to use a glass dish for this)
- In a small bowl, mix together the White Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Garlic Powder, Garlic Salt, Sugar, and Ketchup. Which together and when full mixed, pour over chicken.
- Place dish in the oven and continue to mix chicken every 15 minutes for 1 full hour.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Chicken Fried Rice Ingredients
- 3 Cups Cooked Rice (brown or white will do)
- 1 Ib Boneless Chicken Breast, cubed
- 1 TBSP Sesame Oil, divided inhalf
- 1 TBSP Canola Oil, divided inhalf
- 1 1/3 Cups Frozen Vegetables
- ( I usually choose a mix with peas, carrots, and corn. Any mix will work)
- 3 Green Onions, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Large Eggs
- 3 TBSP Soy Sauce (I prefer Low-Sodium for a less salty taste)
- Heat 1 1/2 TSP of Sesame Oil as well as 1 1/2 TSP of Canola Oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oils are hot, add chicken. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes or until completely cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, set aside on a plate.
- Once chicken is removed from the skillet, heat the remaining oils and then add the vegetable mix, garlic, and green onions. Saute this mixture for 2-3 minutes and then push to the side.
- Crack the three eggs and scramble them in the pan.
- Once the eggs have been scrambled, add the cooked rice, chicken, and soy sauce to the pan and mix all ingredients together.
- Serve & Enjoy!